“Biological diversity is the key to the maintenance of the world as we know it.”
~ E.O. Wilson, Biodiversity
The Grow Native! Program
Grow Native! is a native plant marketing and education program of the Missouri Prairie Foundation. Grow Native! helps protect and restore biodiversity by increasing conservation awareness of native plants and their effective use in urban, suburban, and rural developed landscapes. Through collaboration with consumers, private industry, non-profit organizations, and government agencies, Grow Native! aims to significantly increase the demand and use of native plants in the lower Midwest—Missouri, southern Illinois, eastern Kansas, northern Arkansas, northern Oklahoma, and southern Nebraska.
Overarching Goals of the Missouri Prairie Foundation’s Grow Native! Program
- Provide quality native plant information and educational opportunities to our stakeholders: homeowners, landowners, livestock producers, gardeners, governmental agencies, local governments, educational institutions, and partner conservation and landscaping industry organizations.
- Increase demand for and supply of native plants and native plant landscaping and other services by marketing products and services of Grow Native! Professional Members and providing education to consumers.
- Manage activities of Grow Native! Program in a sustainable manner in terms of funding and labor.
- Maintain active subcommittees and full committee with good communication and respect for all involved.
- Have fun! Involvement in planning and executing Grow Native! Program activities should energize and inspire.
2016 Grow Native! Fact Sheet
Want to know more about how the Grow Native! program is structured and how it operates? Review this one-page fact sheet.
Grow Native! Leadership
Grow Native! is governed by a committee of native plant growers, native plant landscaping professionals, and Missouri Prairie Foundation board members.
2016-2020 Grow Native! Strategic Plan
Read the strategic plan for Grow Native!
History of Grow Native!
In 2015, the Grow Native! committee recognized the 15th anniversary of Grow Native! by forming a 15th Anniversary Committee, which, among other activities, produced a written history of the program. That history provides biographical information on native plant pioneers who were honored in an awards ceremony at the Missouri Prairie Foundation Annual Dinner on November 6, 2015.
The Grow Native! Program annually recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the advancement of the use and promotion of native plants and native plant landscaping. This recognition is in the form of the Grow Native! Ambassador Award.
- 2003 Grow Native! Vision Award: Bill Ruppert, National Nursery Products, Kirkwood, MO
- 2004 Grow Native! Vision Award: Wayne Lovelace, Forrest Keeling Nursery; Shoal Creek Valley Development, Kansas City, MO
- 2005 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Steve Flick
- 2006: none
- 2007 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Renee Jean, Farmington, MO
- 2008 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Betty Grace, Grace Native Seed, Albany, MO
- 2009 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: St. Louis Wild Ones, St. Louis, MO
- 2010 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: John Alberici, Alberici Constructors, St. Louis, MO
- 2011 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Mervin Wallace, Missouri Wildflowers Nursery, Jefferson City, MO
- 2012 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Kay Johnson, Hickory Hills School and Holland Elementary School, Springfield, MO
- 2013 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Bill Ruppert, National Nursery Products, Kirkwood, MO
2014 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Terry Winkelman
2015 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Bob Lee
2016 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Isaac Breuer
- 2017 Grow Native! Ambassador Award: Kathy Fayant
Contact the Grow Native! Staff
Missouri Prairie Foundation
Amy Humphrey Hayes
P.O. Box 200
Columbia, MO 65205